THE LIFE OF CHRIST
Book of Matthew
Chapter 11 - Page 10-11
John the Baptist
VERSE 2 John the Baptist was now where? ________________________
VERSE 3-4 Even though he was a religious leader, he had honest problems with his faith. Did Jesus condemn him for it? _____________
VERSE 5 Jesus helped John by reassuring him that he was fulfilling a prophecy about him from seven centuries earlier.
VERSE 7-8 Apparently those who had known John before thought he was awkward alike a reed _________________________
in the _________________________. He also apparently had been a man who dressed in _____________________
___________________________________. But John had changed.
VERSE 10 Even John had fulfilled a prophecy about him made about 600 years earlier.
VERSE 11 Remembering that the kingdom of heaven is the church (above, chapter 3), the church began after Jesus returned to heaven, and John was beheaded shortly after this conversation with Jesus, why would someone in the kingdom/church be greater than John the Baptist? ____________________________________________________
VERSE 18-19 John was condemned for abstaining from _______________________________, and Jesus was condemned for __________________________________. Does that sound like the way we judge people today? ______________
VERSE 20 Even though Jesus performed numerous miracles in a certain few cities, he turned right around and condemned them because _______________________________________________________________________________________.
Do we today find it hard to identify our own sins? ___________ Why? __________________________________
VERSE 22-23 Tyre and Sidon were Gentile cities in today's Lebanon. Yet, they will be judged more leniently than the very town Jesus was now living in, which was __________________________________.
VERSE 27 Why is it that we can only know the Father through the Son (see John 1:1-2 & 14)? _______________________
VERSE 28 Jesus said, "____________________ unto __________________, all you who are ____________________ and
_________________________________ and _______ will ____________ you _______________.
VERSE 29 Take _____________ yoke upon you and ________________ from me, for I am ____________________ and _______________________ in ________________, and ____________ will find ________________ for your
VERSE 30 What is Jesus' yoke (see Philippians 1:1-2; 4:3, pg. 184 & 186)? ________________________________________
What burden do we, in turn, put on Jesus (see Philippians 4:4-7, pg. 186)? ________________________________
Chapter 12 - Page 11-12
Jesus Faces His First Accusers
VERSE 1 On the ____________________, Jesus' disciples began to pick some _____________________________________
and ____________ them.
NOTE: According to the Law of Moses in the Old Testament, if someone is traveling and hungry, they may pick enough to eat from anyone's field, but they must not take any with them.
VERSE 2 The leaders of the Pharisee religious sect twisted the scriptures and said they couldn't do that on which day? _________________________
VERSE 3-4 But Jesus reminded them how ________________ ate the _________________________________________________
that was in the Temple when he was hungry.
VERSE 14 After Jesus healed the man's shriveled hand, the Pharisees plotted to ________________ Jesus.
VERSE 15 Knowing his teaching work was not done yet, Jesus _____________________ from that place.
VERSE 16 Once more, Jesus warned those he healed not to ___________________. Why do you think he told them this?
VERSE 18 Jesus was fulfilling a prophecy about him given by Isaiah 700 years earlier: He will proclaim _________________.
VERSE 19 He will not ________________________________________________.
VERSE 20 He will be so kind, he won't even break a ________________________________________. What a contrast to the religious leaders trying to kill him!
VERSE 22 In an effort to trap him, the religious leaders brought him a _______________________________________________
VERSE 23 The people were gradually coming to realize that perhaps Jesus was the predicted ___________________________ (notice Son is capitalized).
VERSE 26 Jesus said, "If __________________________ drives out _________________, he will destroy himself.
VERSE 28 He made them face the fact that there was only one logical explanation, and that was that he drove out demons by the __________________________________________________________________.
VERSE 30 We cannot straddle the fence. Jesus said, "He who is not __________________ me is __________________ me."
VERSE 31-32 Anyone who speaks against the __________________________________________ will not be forgiven.
NOTE: John 16:13 (pg. 104) says the Holy Spirit will ____________________ us into all ________________. Therefore, to reject the Holy Spirit is to reject Truth. John 16:8 (pg. 104) says the Counselor (Holy Spirit) will ______________ the world of __________________. It is impossible for God to forgive someone who does not think they have any sins.
VERSE 36 On the Day of Judgment, we will give to ____________________________________________________________
for every _____________________________________________________ we have __________________________.
VERSE 37 Ultimately, it will be our _______________________________ that condemn or acquit us, not an arbitrary whim of God.
VERSE 38 Jesus has already performed numerous miracles. Yet the Pharisees demand to see a ________________________.
VERSE 40 In what way would Jesus be under ground for three days (see Matthew 16:21, pg. 17)?________________________
VERSE 41 Jesus praised the city of _____________________________, even though they were Gentiles and trying to conquer Israel, because when ______________________ preached to them, they repented.
VERSE 46-50 Taking advantage of every opportunity to teach a lesson, Jesus said the whole crowd was his _________________
Chapter 13 - Page 13-14
A Chapter of Parables
(See below for coverage of verses 1-9)
VERSE 13 In what way does this verse sometimes apply to us today when we read God's word? _______________________
VERSE 15 People's __________________ become _________________________. It is almost as if, when we refuse to understand and accept the obvious in the Bible, we do not want Jesus to ___________________________ us (forgive us).
VERSE 18 The seed in the parable represents what (verse 38)? ______________________________________________
VERSE 19 Who causes us to not understand and accept the message about the kingdom (see verse 39)?
VERSE 20-21 Rocky ground represents hearers who ______________________________ receive the Word, but when ___________________________________________________ comes, they ______________________________.
VERSE 22 Thorny ground represents hearers who will not respond to God's Word because the _______________________ of this life _____________________________ choke it out.
VERSE 23 The good soil represents those who __________________________ the word, _________________________ the word, and are blessed with reading, believing, and following more and more of God's word with joy.
VERSE 24-30 If the seed sown by Jesus is the Word of God, what do you think is the seed which produces weeds, and who does it originate with? _______________________________________________________________________________
Do you think there are religious leaders today who sow beliefs that are not really part of the Bible?
____________. (See 1 Timothy 4:3 [pg. 195] and Colossians 2:18 [pg. 188] for example that was predicted.)
VERSE 31-32 The kingdom of heaven is like a _________________________________________. Though the _________________ of seeds, it becomes a _____________________________.
ADVANCED QUESTIONS - 4
AUTHORITY OF THE BIBLE
1. DEUTERONOMY 4:2 - "Do not ____________________________ to what I command you and do not ________________ it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you."
2. ROMANS 10:1, 2, 17 - "Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be _____________________. For I can testify about them that they are _____________________________ for God, BUT their zeal is not based on ____________________________....Consequently, faith comes from hearing [reading], and hearing [reading] by the ________________________ of God."
3. GALATIANS 1:6-10 - "I am astonished that you are so quickly ________________________ from the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a ___________________________ gospel -- which is really ________ gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into _______________________ and are trying to ___________________ the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an _____________________________ from heaven should preach a gospel ___________________________________________to you, let him be eternally _________________________. Am I now trying to win the _________________________ or ______________________ or of ______________________?"
4. 2 TIMOTHY 3:1-3 - "The Spirit clearly stays that in ________________________ times some will _________________
_______________________ the faith and follow __________________________ spirits and things taught by demons. Such ___________________________ come through hypocritical _________________, whose ____________________________ have been seared as with a hot iron. They _______________________________________________, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the _______________________."
5. 2 TIMOTHY 4:2-4 - "Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke, and encourage -- with great patience and _____________________ instruction. For the time will come when men will not ___________________
______________________________________________. Instead, to suit their ______________________________________,
they will gather around them a great number of _____________________________ to say what their itching ears ________
to hear. They will turn their ears __________________ from the _______________________________ and turn aside to myths."
6. REVELATION 22:18-19 - "I ________________________________ everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone ________________________________ anything in them, God will add to him the ___________________
described in this book. And if anyone _________________________________ from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of __________________________ and in the holy city, which is described in this book."
7. MATTHEW 7:15 - "Watch out for _________________________ prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but ___________________________ they are ferocious wolves."
8. MATTHEW 7:21-23 - "Not everyone who says to me, '_____________________________________," will ____________
the kingdom of __________________________, but only he who ________________ the _______________ of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, '_________________________________________.
Away from me, you ______________________________________!"
9. COLOSSIANS 2:20-23 - "Since you died with Christ to the basic ____________________________ of this ___________,
why, as though you still belonged to it, do you _______________________ to its ________________________: 'Do not handle! Do not touch!'? These are all destined to _________________________ with use because they are based on _____________________________________ teachings. Such regulations indeed have an ____________________________ of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship [KJV "will worship"], their _________________________________________
and their harsh treatment of the body, but they ____________________________________ any value.
10. EPHESIANS 4:14-15 - "Then we will no longer be infants, ___________________________ back and forth by the waves, and ___________________________ here and there by every _____________________ of ________________________ and by the cunning and craftiness of ______________________________ in their _________________________________ scheming. Instead, speaking the __________________________ in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is Christ."
11. 1 TIMOTHY 6:3-4 - "If anyone teachings _________________________ doctrines and does not _____________________
to sound instruction of our Lord ______________________ Christ and to godly teaching, he is ________________________
and understands ________________________________."
12. MATTHEW 15:2 - "Why do you ____________________________________ the command of _____________________
for the sake of your ____________________________________?"
13. MATTHEW 15:8-9 - "These people honor me with their ____________________, but their ________________________
are _____________________ from me. They worship me in ________________; their teachings are but rules taught by _______________________."
14. COLOSSIANS 2:8 - "See to it that no one takes you _________________________ through ________________________
and deceptive ______________________________, which depends on _______________________ tradition and the basic principles of this ____________________________ rather than on Christ.
15. COLOSSIANS 2:8 - "See to it that no one takes you _________________________ through ________________________ and deceptive __________________________, which depends on _______________________ tradition and the basic principles of this ________________________ rather than on Christ.
16. ACTS 5:29 - "Peter and the other apostles replied, "We ______________________________________________________
rather than ________________."
17. ROMANS 2:5-8 - "Judgment Day....for those who are ________________________ and who ______________________
the ____________________________ and follow evil, there will be ___________________ and anger."
Demon possession did not exist before Jesus came to earth. There is no example of it in the Old Testament that goes back approximately 4000 years before Jesus. Colossians 2:15 (pg. 188) says Jesus triumphed over them all at the cross. Romans 8:38 (pg. 148) says that demons or any other kind of powers can separate us from the love of God through Jesus.
Satan is the god of the short cut: Steal things instead of taking the time to earn the money, etc. So, it may be that when Jesus came to earth and entered the body of the baby and took the time to grow up, Satan decided to imitate it in order to conquer Jesus. In that case, he sent his demons ("sons") to enter the bodies of grown people. Of course these grown people fought the demons. It seems, too, that the demons were sent to possess strong religious people.
There are three instances of casting out demons that had rendered the host irrational at times. The first is here in Matthew, and after being healed, wanted to go preaching with Jesus (Luke 8:38, pg. 64). The second was a man who was worshipping in the synagogue at the time ("at church") (Mark 1:21-28, pg. 33). The third was a woman, Mary Magdalene (Luke 8:2), a religious friend of Jesus' mother; he appeared to her shortly after his resurrection.
It is interesting that it took several demons to control these religious people, and they could not do it all the time. The man in the above passage had a legion of demons in him with one being the spokesman (see Mark 5:8-9); the second it does not say; the third, Mary Magdalene, had seven in her.
The other instances of demon possession in Jesus' day were those who caused diseases, apparently for other reasons than physical, and no amount of physical treatment could help them. There were five cases of these: A man who could not speak (Matthew 9:32-34, pg. 9); a man who could not see, hear, or speak (Matthew 12:22-37, pg. 12); a girl with unnamed symptoms (Matthew 15:21-28, pg. 16); and a boy who had convulsions, Matthew 17:14-20 (pg. 18).